Thursday, August 30, 2007

Comments about comments on Kevin Leitch's blog

I can't seem to post my reply to Kevin Leitch's entry If Someone's Not Broke, Don't Fix Them, so I'm replying here to some people's comments on his entry.

"I doubt that he’ll be so attached to his glasses or define himself by them, but I suppose he might so I would definitely have to discuss this with him and make sure it was something that he wanted." (regarding laser eye surgery for her son)

My glasses aren't a part of who I am, but my myopia is sort of. A small part, but still. I used to want eye surgery, but realized the only reason I didn't like being myopic was teasing, which isn't a good reason in my opinion. And I can't remember ever not having eyes like this. If I regularly wore glasses, maybe they'd feel like a part of me, but I don't.

"After hearing some of the reactions to the NPR piece, I wish they had put Amanda first. People seem to be focused on Michael Carley, the married guy with two kids and a mortgage, and saying, well, that’s fine for those high functioning aspies, it has nothing to do with me!"

Even if Amanda Baggs had been first in that piece, chances are people would say that. I've noticed many people will ignore or disbelieve anything contradicting their stereotypes (why anyone would want to do such an elaborate hoax as some accuse Amanda of doing, I'll never understand).
Ettina

2 Comments:

Blogger elmindreda said...

I prefer wearing glasses. In addition to being very accustomed to wearing them (have been since kindergarten), they're useful as protection and I prefer the way I look with glasses (although most people disagree with me on this).

3:48 PM  
Blogger Ettina said...

I can't sleep with glasses on, so I take them off for bed and then often I loose them.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home