Tuesday, March 18, 2008

email to schizophrenia digest

I recently e-mailed the following to the schizophrenia digest 'Ask the Doctor' column:

To Dr Bob,
Awhile back I read the book I’m Not Sick, I Don’t Need Help! My question is how to distinguish lack of insight into their own condition from simply disagreeing with their psychiatrist. For example, as an autistic person, I have often heard accounts of adult autistic people being misdiagnosed as schizophrenic and given inappropriate treatment as a result. Many of these people are aware that the diagnosis doesn’t fit and the treatment isn’t helping. Even when accurately diagnosed, some psychiatric patients may not be helped by the usual treatment, may feel that the drawbacks of the treatment outweigh the benefit, or may have different goals for treatment than the psychiatrist. How do you decide who is right when the patient and the psychiatrist disagree?

I'd really like to know his answer, but even more so I want to raise the question.

PS: I just added links to my favorite blogs. Note that there's actually a curebie autistic among them - I don't agree with many of her statements, but she's very interesting to read and discuss with.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ettina,

I would be VERY interested to know what his response is. Please let me know.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Ivan said...

same here.

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home