Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Get Nate Home

I found out awhile ago about a boy, Nate Tseglin. What I heard first was that he was a self-injuring autistic boy with a tendency to severe reactions to neuroleptics who was forcibly removed from his parents because they refused to medicate him to treat his self-injury. I assumed originally that he was severely autistic, even though I should know better than to think self-injury only occurs in low functioning autistic kids. In fact, Nate has been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome.
This threatens me, too. I'm high functioning autistic and I also self-injure, though apparently not as badly as Nate. I also have serious meltdowns which have almost resulted in me being hospitalized a few times.
I know this will sound bad, but I didn't think that much about Nate until I found out he was high functioning. I thought it was a bad thing, but I was safe. But if the wrong thing happens, something similar could happen to me.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Maya M said...

To me, it doesn't sound bad (I mean, that your feelings changed when you heard that Nate was high-functioning). Our own well-being comes first.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home