Sunday, September 23, 2007

Blogging Meme

ABFH has a blogging meme that I've decided to do.

1. Is there a regular time of day when you compose your posts? Not really. I don't have internet access at home so I do it at the university, generally between 8:30 to 5:00 or so. And generally not right after 8:30 - not even if you take into account the time it takes to get to the computer.

2. Do you prefer to write a certain number of posts per week (or per month)? I try not to write more than one a day, and if I've gone a long time (not sure what I mean by 'long time', it's just a feeling in my mind of the thing getting distant) I try to write something. Mostly I just write when I get in a blogging mood.

3. Are you more likely to write a post when you're happy about the topic, or do you mainly blog when you feel like ranting? Generally I write when something sticks in my mind that I want to write about. If it seems to me like a blog kind of topic, that's where I write it, otherwise maybe on my laptop or something. It's a special kind of mood, not related to how I feel about the topic. I feel the same way when I'm putting together a puzzle and I suddenly realize where a certain piece goes. I fit together ideas the same way, and if it's fit together enough I can write it. Otherwise I just put it aside. Generally blogging ideas are ready to write as soon as I have them, but fiction stories may not be.

4. Do you write from notes or an outline, or are your posts mostly spontaneous? Spontaneous. I find myself talking to myself about an idea and realize I could blog about it. I try to include what relevant ideas I said to myself or thought of, otherwise just let it flow.

5. Do you try to maintain a central theme for your blog and avoid random topics that don't fit the theme? Sort of. I mostly blog about disability rights, but if something else strikes me as bloggable, I'll write it. Occasionally I jot down stuff I don't want to forget on my blog because it's most handy when I'm on the internet.

6. Are there any interesting rituals associated with your blogging? Generally I first check over my most recent posts for new comments, then log in and start writing. I have a ritual of checking Amanda Baggs's blog as soon as I get on the internet that day, occasionally multiple times a day.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger abfh said...

I also talk to myself about ideas before they turn into posts, though not necessarily out loud. Some amount of internal dialogue seems to be necessary to the composition process.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home